Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Costs of sponsoring a family member for a U.S. visa

On Behalf of | Apr 29, 2024 | immigration law

Sponsoring a family member for a U.S. visa involves not only emotional commitment but also significant financial responsibilities.

Sponsors must meet key financial obligations to ensure their family members can come to the U.S.

The Affidavit of Support?

The main financial document involved in sponsoring a family member is the Affidavit of Support. This form proves you make enough money to support your relative so they will not become a public charge or a financial burden on U.S. taxpayers.

Income requirements

To sponsor a family member, you need to earn at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for your family size. If you are in the U.S. military and sponsoring your spouse or child, you only need to make 100%.

Using Assets to Meet Income Requirements

If your income does not meet the necessary threshold, you can also use assets such as savings, stocks, bonds and real estate. The total value must be five times the shortfall in your income. This amount is less if you are sponsoring your spouse or child.

Responsibilities after the visa is granted

Your financial responsibility does not end when the visa is granted. As a sponsor, you are financially responsible for the family member until they become a U.S. citizen or work for 10 years. If they use government benefits during that time, you might have to pay the government back.

Joint sponsors and household members

If your income is not enough, you can get help from a joint sponsor who also fills out an Affidavit of Support. Some of your family members might also help by combining their income with yours.

It is important to fully understand and meet these financial requirements to help your family member start their new life in the U.S. successfully.