John Vickerstaff Louisville, Kentucky Immigration Lawyer
This is an advertisement
call for an initial consultation
Toll Free888-832-2944
Practice Areas

March 2018 Archives

When the government comes knocking at your door after the wedding

Emigrating from another country to build a new life in Kentucky may be a dream you waited years to fulfill. As a newly married person as well, you're likely still going through an adjustment period as all newlyweds typically do. As a newly married immigrant, you may face certain challenges that U.S. citizens don't, such as overcoming a language barrier and getting used to new customs and cultural situations. Hopefully, your married life and residence in the United States will bring you lasting joy.

Asylum seekers may be separated from their children

Immigration can reunite families in Kentucky by allowing spouses, children and other family members of U.S. citizens to become citizens themselves. In some cases, though, leaving their home countries results in family separation, instead. Deportation is not the only threat. People seeking asylum could be at risk of being removed from their loved ones and detained thousands of miles apart.

What about those who marry U.S. citizens employed abroad?

Given that love knows no borders, it is not uncommon to hear of cases where American citizens relocate to a foreign country and end up marrying a local resident. If that describes your situation, then you rightly may be wondering how your immigration status may be viewed when your spouse chooses to return to Louisville. If your shared intention is to make the United States your permanent home, how long then must you wait until you can become a naturalized citizen?