Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Frequently Asked Immigration Questions

Seeking entry, permanent residency or citizenship to the United States can be a complicated process. With shifting laws and complex situations, it is vital to get clear answers to your questions. Vickerstaff Law Office, PSC, has the experience and knowledge to help you create your path to the U.S.

Can I Get A Green Card For My Spouse?

If you are a U.S. citizen, your spouse can apply for a marriage green card. With a green card, your spouse would become a lawful permanent resident. After three years as a permanent resident, your spouse may then decide whether to also apply for U.S. citizenship.

Can I Get A Green Card For My Fiancé(e)?

A noncitizen who is engaged to a U.S. citizen can apply for a K-1 visa. This visa allows the noncitizen fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. within six months of receiving the visa under the condition that the marriage will occur within 90 days of his or her arrival. After the marriage, the visa-holding spouse can apply for a green card, which would grant permanent resident status.

Can I Get A Green Card Through My Family Members?

If your spouse, sibling, child or parent is a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for a green card. To do so, you must enter the country legally and meet the application deadline on your I-94 card.

In some situations, if you face deportation, you and your attorney could work to show that family members would suffer hardship without you. The judge may grant a green card to prevent deportation if a child, dependent or other family member relies on your care or financial support.

How Do Employers Help Workers Apply For Employment-Based Green Cards?

To have a strong application for an employment green card, employers must:

  • Demonstrate that the position is essential.
  • Show that nobody else in the U.S. has the skills or qualifications to complete the work. This requires the employer to advertise the job domestically and track applications before an employment green card can be issued.
  • Abide by the quota regarding how many workers the employer can bring into the country.

The process may take up to six years, but for many employers and employees, it is worth the effort. Workers who receive these green cards often possess unique knowledge and skills. At Vickerstaff Law Office, we frequently assist employers with immigration matters in the fields of engineering, research, software development and academics.

Who Is Eligible To Seek Asylum?

When you first arrive at a U.S. airport, seaport or other point-of-entry, or if you are already in the U.S., you may apply for asylum. Your eligibility does not depend on your immigration status or whether you entered the U.S. legally or unlawfully.

How Long Do I Have To Apply For Asylum?

The deadline for asylum applications is one year after your most recent entry to the U.S. However, there may be exceptions if there are special circumstances that changed your eligibility or obstructed your ability to apply. These circumstances may involve the condition of your home country or your personal life. Despite any unique situations, you still need to apply within a reasonable time frame. Therefore, it is important to begin the process as soon as you believe you need asylum in the U.S.

Get Accurate Answers About Visas And Immigration

For help with your application for green cards, visas, asylum or other needs, call our Louisville law firm at 502-442-2039. You may also reach our immigration attorneys through our contact form.