Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

What you need to know about asylum

On Behalf of | Oct 15, 2022 | asylum, Firm News

If you are fleeing persecution in your native country, you may be able to seek asylum in the United States. The U.S. offers humanitarian relief to people seeking protection from oppressive regimes.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services provides information about applying for asylum in the United States that may be helpful to you.

Who qualifies for asylum?

You may be eligible for asylum in the United States if you can show that you have suffered persecution in your home country or have a reasonable fear that you could suffer persecution if you remain. Persecution may take place on the following grounds:

  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Nationality
  • Political opinion
  • Race
  • Religion

How do you apply for asylum?

Applying for asylum involves filling out a certain form. You have to be physically present in the United States before you apply for asylum.

What if you want to stay in the United States permanently?

If the United States grants you asylum and you stay for one year, you become eligible to apply for a Green Card, which makes you a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.

Can you get a job in the U.S. as an asylee?

It may be possible for you to get a job once you receive asylum. It requires you to apply for employment authorization.

Can you bring the rest of your family to the United States?

If you had to leave your family behind when you fled your home country, you may want to bring them to the United States to live with you. You can petition USCIS to bring your children and spouse to the U.S.

You have to file your petition within two years of receiving asylum. If the humanitarian crisis in your country is particularly dire, USCIS may waive this requirement. The only family members you can bring are your spouse and children. Your children are only eligible if they are under the age of 21 and have not married.