Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

What to do in the case of lost visitor visas

On Behalf of | Jan 16, 2020 | immigration law

For those who want to visit the U.S., Kentucky is a hub for tourism, shopping and sightseeing. If you are on a tour of the U.S., then you have to have an accepted visitor visa. Losing your passport or visa in the United States can result in extreme anxiety. After all, this is the official travel document. If lost, it will be difficult for you to depart the U.S. 

If you lose your passport or visitor visa, stay calm. Whether you lost it through theft or because you misplaced it, you do have options. These are the steps you will need to take: 

  • File a police report 
  • Request a replacement visa 
  • Report visa lost to your embassy 
  • Report visa lost to U.S. embassy 
  • Apply for a replacement visa 

Millions of passports go missing worldwide every year. As you go through the process, understand that it is not uncommon, but it is serious. Do not skip the police report. Even if you think that you lost the visa, these are extremely valuable documents. Reporting to the proper authorities can help prevent identity theft. 

If you had a Form I-94, then you should visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website. From the website, you can file for a replacement. Look for the Application for Replacement/Initial Non-immigrant Arrival-Departure Document. 

In the event that you find your visa after reporting it stolen, keep in mind that it is now invalid. You cannot use that visa for future travel and must wait until you receive your new visa. 

When you lose you visa, you can remain in the U.S. for the length of your planned stay. However, you do need to replace the visa as soon as possible.  When you reach the step where you can apply for a replacement visa, you must have a written account of your passport or visa loss.