Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Will I have to present more evidence to adjust my status?

On Behalf of | Jan 11, 2023 | adjustment of status

Your dreams of becoming a permanent resident in the United States may seem within your grasp. Once you acquire a green card, you can begin your new life in this country. Part of adjusting your immigration status is presenting the proper evidence to U.S. immigration authorities.

It is possible the U.S. government may send you a request for additional evidence to process your case. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website explains three reasons why this might happen.

Failure to submit all evidence

The U.S. government has requirements for the kind of evidence it needs to determine whether an immigrant is eligible for a green card. However, you might forget or neglect to send one or more documents. If so, U.S. immigration authorities may tell you which papers or records you should provide.

A need for more information

Sometimes the government requires more evidence to decide whether or not you are eligible for permanent residency. If so, the request should tell what kind of evidence you should submit so the government can make its determination.

Evidence has become obsolete

It is important that your evidence reflects your current situation. Sometimes events happen to make some personal information outdated. For example, some immigrants decide to change their names after a divorce or marriage. If some of your evidence is no longer valid, you will have to provide the U.S. government with updated information.

Keep in mind that a request for more evidence has a time limit on it. A failure to respond soon enough could cause the government to deny you a green card. Fortunately, an evidence request also tells you where to send updated or additional evidence.