Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Should you ignore a mistake on your green card?

On Behalf of | Nov 14, 2022 | immigration law

As you know by now, applying for legal permanent residency can be a long and complicated process. Now that you have received your approval notice, you are probably looking forward to staying away from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for a while. Still, if your green card has an error on it, you have some work to do.

While the USCIS has systems in place to avoid mistakes, it is not exactly rare for a green card to contain inaccurate information. If your card has a misspelling, incorrect date or some other error, you should request a replacement green card.

Why do errors happen?

When it comes to a mistake on your green card, there are two likely causes. First, you may have made a mistake when you filed immigration forms. If you did, you probably must pay a filing fee to correct the issue.

On the other hand, the USCIS may be responsible for the error. If this is the case, you are probably eligible for a fee waiver. That is, according to the USCIS, when you file the form to request a replacement card, you may not have to pay immigration officials to process it.

Why are green card errors bad for you?

There are many rights that come with being a legal permanent resident. If you want to take full advantage of these, you need your green card to have accurate information. This is particularly true for traveling and applying for jobs.

Ultimately, even if you are sick of dealing with the USCIS, taking care of mistakes on your green card should give you some peace of mind.

Share This