Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944
Vickerstaff Law Office

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039
Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

Louisville, Kentucky, Immigration Lawyer

What is an adjustment of status?

On Behalf of | Jul 6, 2020 | immigration law

Immigration law can be confusing. Depending on your situation, there may be different steps you must complete to become a legal citizen. You may wonder what options you have if you are already living in the United States. For example, do you have to go back to your original county to gain legal status, or can you complete the process in America?

Keep reading for more information on what an adjustment of status is, and eligibility requirements.

How an adjustment of status works

According to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services website, an adjustment of status allows you to apply for a Green Card during certain situations if you are already in the U.S. This means you do not have to travel back to your country of origin to apply for a visa. You will be able to complete the process in its entirety without traveling outside of the U.S.

Eligibility requirements for an adjustment

The first thing you must do is determine if you are eligible for an adjustment of status. To apply for a Green Card, you must fall into one of the following categories.

  • Green Card through family
  • Green Card through registry
  • Green Card through employment
  • Green Card through other circumstances
  • Green Card as a special immigrant
  • Green Card as a victim of abuse
  • Green Card as an asylee or refugee
  • Green Card as a crime victim or victim of human trafficking

In most cases, but not all, someone will have to sponsor your application. This means a family member or employer may need to fill out an application to file alongside yours.