Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Can you seek asylum for family members?

On Behalf of | Dec 15, 2019 | Firm News

For many refugees who seek asylum in the US, it is common to want to bring your family with you. After all, family members face the same hardships and persecution and it is common to enter the US with hopes of reuniting with your loved ones. Fortunately, if you plan to move to Kentucky, It is possible to immigrate with your family. 

According to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services, refugees are those who have suffered persecution, fear of persecution due to nationality, political opinion, membership of social groups, race or religion. This does not include anyone who incited, assisted or participated in persecution of others due to race, religion, political opinion or nationality. In order to be a refugee, you must first live outside of the US, not resettle in a different country and be admissible to the US. 

If your family is abroad, you need to file a refugee relative petition. This petition allows you to bring your spouse or unmarried children who are under the age of 21. This petition does have a deadline unless there are humanitarian reasons for you to delay. You have two years from your arrival to the US to bring your family. 

In addition, you may also file an affidavit of relationship for your spouse, parents or children. This form serves the purpose of reuniting family members in the United States. It records the information about your family so that relatives can enter the US through the US Refugees Admissions Program. 

The above article is intended to provide information about the immigration process for family members of refugees. It is not legal advice.