Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

What is the L-1B visa?

On Behalf of | Dec 4, 2018 | adjustment of status

There are many ways to legally enter the United States and make a home in Kentucky. One of those options is to secure an L-1B visa. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains this type of visa can enable you to live in the U.S. as part of a transfer for work.

The L-1B visa allows your company to transfer you to this country to work if you have specialized knowledge and the company you work for here is an affiliate of the company where you will work in the U.S. Alternatively, a foreign company may send you here to establish a U.S.-based office.

To qualify for this visa, your employer in the U.S. must have a relationship with a foreign company and do business in the U.S. and another country while you are in the U.S. on this visa. You must be an employee of the foreign company for at least one year continuously before applying for your visa and provide specialized services as part of your job.

If your employer sends you to the U.S. to establish a new office, then the employer must have the financial ability to start up the business and a physical location set up for the business prior to you getting your visa.

The L-1B visa allows you to stay in the U.S. for up to three years. If you come to start a new business, you can stay for one year. You may ask for extensions up to five years. This information is for education and is not legal advice.