Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

What if the government loses your citizenship application?

Unfortunately, when you are dealing with a bureaucracy like the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), sometimes they will lose important paperwork. These scenarios may also involve Kentucky residents who have filed an application for U.S. citizenship. If you have sent off an application package and have since discovered the USCIS has lost your paperwork, there are steps you can take to correct the situation. points out that the easiest step you can take is to simply re-file the application. As you prepare your new citizenship application, you will also write out a new check, but you should be sure that the federal government has not already cashed your previous check. If the government has not cashed the first check, contact your bank to have that check cancelled.

During the initial application process, you should have made copies of your application and all related documents. So if you have copies, it is easy to make additional copies to send to the USCIS. If original forms and papers are required, you can simply use the copies you kept to input the information onto the new original forms. Remember that the USCIS will require original signatures on some documents, so be aware that you are not sending a copied signature if it is not allowed.

When you send off your new application package, place the payment on top of your documents within the envelope. Many citizenship applications are processed in a lockbox location where payments are received. The personnel there will be looking for payments and if they have to hunt for your check through your package, there is a chance some or all of your paperwork could be lost. Clipping the check to your papers is a good way to keep all your papers together.

The loss of your initial application package can present additional problems. You may need to write a letter that inquires about your current application status to the USCIS or a consular office. While dealing with these issues, it is best to consult with an immigration attorney on how to handle your problems with the USCIS and successfully get your application process back on track.

This article is intended to educate readers on citizenship issues and is not to be taken as legal advice.