Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Filing for adjustment of status

On Behalf of | Jul 23, 2017 | adjustment of status

People who come to the United States may do so under many different types of visas and for many different types of reasons. Some foreign nationals in Kentucky are here to pursue specific educational or occupational opportunities. Others have come to the United States to join family members. Still others have fled their countries due to unpleasant circumstances they experienced at home.

If you are one of the many people in the U.S. from another nation and you now want to seek permanent residency here, you may be able to do this via what the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services refers to as an adjustment of status. Typically you must be in your home country for this but there are some situations in which you may do this while residing in the U.S.

The process requires that a visa must be available for you based upon your eligibility to be in the U.S. Some types of visas have limited quantities each year so confirming this is important before you file the I-485 petition requesting your green card. This step is not necessary if you are able to apply based upon a family relationship as there is no limit on the number of these visas. All people must file or have someone else file for them an immigrant petition before the I-485 petition is filed.

If you would like to learn more about how to apply for an adjustment of status and to learn if you are eligible to do so, please feel free to visit the U.S. permanent residency page of our Kentucky immigration website.