Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

Call For An Initial Consultation

Local: 502-442-2039 Toll-Free: 888-832-2944

How do I help a relative obtain asylee or refugee status?

On Behalf of | Feb 9, 2018 | asylum

If you are a refugee in Kentucky or have obtained asylee status within the last two years, then you may have the option of petitioning for a relative’s asylee status. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Department, the relative in question must be your spouse or a child who is unmarried and was under the age of 21 when you were granted your own status.

Your first step is to file the I-730 petition, which is the Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition. Be sure you have all documentation collected and ready to send upon your first filing to ensure that it is complete and ready to be processed. You will receive notification via postal mail as confirmation of its receipt or a request, if necessary, for additional information.

If the relative on whose behalf you are filing is currently living in the U.S., it is possible that he or she will need to meet with an immigration officer for an interview. You will be notified via mail when a decision is made.

If approved, you will be sent information regarding the next step that you will need to take. For those who do not currently live in the country, your petition will be forwarded to the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your relative’s region, from which a notification will be sent to your relative with an invitation to move forward with the application for travel to the U.S.

Unfortunately, if your marriage took place after you obtained your own status, you cannot file on behalf of your spouse. However, there may be other immigration-related assistance that can benefit him or her.

This post is intended to provide resource information only and should not be interpreted as legal counsel.